Saturday, July 12, 2008

SEO Action

Today was another good day, or has been a good day so far. Anyday I learn something that can put $$$$ in my pocket is a good day. I worked on one of my BANS,
Radio Sales
and in the process I'm learning to optimize it for the search engines.

This morning I did the following:

1. Added robots.txt - basically this file tells the bots what files and directories to index, or more importantly NOT index.

2.Optimized it for my keywords. That is after deciding which 3 keywords to optimize it for. I basically changed the title, added the keywords and adding it to the meta tags

3. Updated the sitemap with priorities for each page. Google in it's infinite wisdom doesn't like the fact that all your pages can be just as important as the others. setting priorities is important and alleviates those pain in the ass errors you may sometimes see with your sitemap in google's webmaster tools.

4. Added a privacy policy. I also created an email address specifically for that.

5. Tested my homepage at SEO Test
which is a really cool tool to see how well you've set your site for your keywords.
For my 3 keywords I got a score of 38,38 and 35 so I'm pretty well optimized. Which is a drastic improvement over my original scores which was 1,1 and 1.

6. I added a javascript hit counter which tells me how many visitors I get and where they came from. Very Nice!


Lessons: SEO is very important, more important than how a site looks in the beginning. Next, original content with your keywords embedded naturally is also important for improving your rankings as well.

No comments: